Bremo Slave Chapel
Historical Significance: The building that now serves as the parish hall for the Grace Episcopal Church was originally the slave chapel for Bremo, the adjacent plantation of General John Hartwell Cocke. It is the state's only known slave chapel and represents Cocke's concern for the religious and moral edification of enslaved persons. Opposed to slavery in principle, Cocke was unwilling to emancipate his own slaves until he had given them an education, both secular and religious. The chapel was built on land that Cocke referred to as Chapel Field.
The chapel fell into disuse after the Civil War and around 1883 was moved from its original site to the village of Bremo Bluff to serve the local Episcopal Parish. It was used as a house of worship until 1924, when the present church was built.
The chapel was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Physical Description: The chapel is a Gothic Revival structure, constructed in 1835. It is currently used as an activity center for Grace Episcopal Church.
General John Hartwell Cocke